4 Best Rugged Tablets for Military Use
Posted by Rugged Books Inc on 2023 Jan 27th
What is a Rugged Tablet?
Rugged tablets, also known as ruggedized tablets or semi-rugged tablets, are specialized mobile computing devices that are designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions, extreme temperatures, and rough handling. They are built to meet or exceed military standards (MIL-STD-810G) for durability and ruggedness, making them ideal for use in the military, fieldwork, and other demanding environments.
The military relies on rugged tablets for a variety of tasks, such as navigation, communication, and logistics management. These devices must be able to withstand extreme temperatures, shocks, vibrations, and exposure to water and dust. They must also be able to function in low-light environments and have a long battery life to support extended field operations.
One of the key features of rugged tablets is their ruggedized design. They are built with reinforced cases, protective covers, and sealed ports to protect against dust and water ingress. They also have reinforced glass and reinforced hinges to protect the display and internal components from damage. Additionally, rugged tablets are designed to withstand drops, shocks, and vibrations, which are common in military operations.
Another important feature of rugged tablets is their ability to function in extreme temperatures. They are built to operate in temperatures ranging from -20°C to 60°C, making them suitable for use in a variety of environments, from the desert to the Arctic.
Rugged tablets also come equipped with a variety of connectivity options, such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 4G/LTE. This allows military personnel to stay connected and communicate with one another, even in remote locations. Furthermore, many rugged tablets have built-in GPS and GLONASS, which enables military personnel to navigate in the field and track their location in real-time.
Here are 4 Best Rugged Tablets For Military Use:
Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1:
The Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 is a rugged tablet that is designed to meet or exceed military standards (MIL-STD-810G) for durability and ruggedness. It is built to withstand harsh environmental conditions and rough handling, making it ideal for use in the military, fieldwork, and other demanding environments.
- Built to military standards for durability and ruggedness
- Can withstand harsh environmental conditions
- Has a high-resolution display for clear and detailed images
- Has a long battery life, making it suitable for long shifts or fieldwork
- Has a wide range of ports and connectivity options
- Can be expensive compared to consumer-grade tablets
- Has a larger form factor, making it less portable than some other rugged tablets
- Has a relatively heavy weight, making it less comfortable to hold for extended periods
- Touchscreen can be less responsive in certain conditions, such as when wearing gloves.
Panasonic Toughbook CF-33:
The Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 is a rugged 2-in-1 laptop-tablet hybrid that offers flexibility and durability for those who work in demanding conditions. Its 12.0" display boasts a unique 3:2 aspect ratio and is detachable with an infrared camera for Windows Hello support. It also has hot-swappable twin batteries and optional EM7511 Band 14 mobile broadband. Built to meet MIL-STD-810G standards for ruggedness, it is perfect for fieldwork, military operations, and other demanding environments.
- Meets or exceeds military standards for durability and ruggedness
- 2-in-1 design allows for use as both a tablet and a laptop
- 12.0-inch display is easy to handle and improves readability of business applications and documents
- Innovative design allows for backward compatibility with previous TOUGHBOOK models
- Bright display with infrared camera for Windows Hello support
- Hot-swappable twin batteries and optional EM7511 Band 14 mobile broadband
- Some users have reported issues with the screen resolution and color accuracy.
- Price compared to other tablets
Panasonic Toughbook CF-20:
The Panasonic Toughbook CF-20 is a revolutionary device that is designed to meet the needs of those who work in demanding conditions. It is the first fully rugged detachable PC with a removable keyboard that can quickly transform from a laptop into a fully-functioning tablet with just one hand. Weighing only 3.9 pounds, it is portable and easy to take on the go.
- Rugged and durable design for use in harsh environments
- 10.1-inch touchscreen display for easy navigation
- Powered by a powerful Intel Core m5-6Y57 vPro processor
- MIL-STD-810G and IP65 certified for resistance against drops, shock, vibration, dust, and water
- May be more expensive than other tablets in its class
- Battery life may not be as long as other tablets
- May be heavier and bulkier than other tablets
- May not have as many features or apps as consumer-grade tablets.
Dell Latitude 7220 Rugged Tablet:
The Dell Latitude 7220 Rugged Tablet is a rugged and durable tablet designed for use in demanding environments such as military and fieldwork. It is built to meet or exceed military standards for durability and ruggedness, making it ideal for use in extreme conditions.
- Durable and rugged design that meets or exceeds military standards.
- Built-in handle for easy portability
- Hot-swappable battery for uninterrupted use
- Wide range of ports and integrated options
- Sunlight-viewable display for use in outdoor environments
- May be expensive for some users.
- Battery life may not be as long as some other rugged tablets on the market
What Tablet Does the Military Use?
The military uses a variety of rugged tablets depending on the mission and the specific requirements of the unit. Some of the most popular rugged tablets used by the military include the Panasonic Toughpad, Getac, Xplore, Juniper Systems, Dell Latitude, Motion F5t, Handheld Nautiz X9, General Dynamics Itronix GD8000, Xplore XSLATE R12, and Zebra TC8000.
The Panasonic Toughpad is one of the most widely used rugged tablets by the military, with models such as the FZ-G1, CF-33, CF-20, CF-31, CF-19, CF-53, CF-54, CF-C2, CF-H2, CF-S10, and CF-SX3, all of which are known for their durability and ruggedness. They meet or exceed MIL-STD-810G standards, making them resistant to water, dust, and extreme temperatures. They also have long battery life and come with a variety of ports and connectivity options, making them suitable for various military applications.
Getac is another popular brand of rugged tablets used by the military, particularly the F110 model. It has a durable design and meets MIL-STD-810G standards, making it resistant to water, dust, and extreme temperatures. It also has a long battery life and comes with a variety of ports and connectivity options.
Which Tablet Has the Best Battery Life?
It is difficult to decide which rugged tablet has the best battery life as it can vary depending on the specific model and usage. However, many rugged tablets are designed to have long battery life, which is an important feature for military operations where access to power may be limited.
Many rugged tablets have the ability to hot-swap batteries, allowing users to easily change batteries without shutting down the device. This feature can also help to extend the battery life.
What is a Military Rugged Tablet Used For?
Military rugged tablets are specialized mobile computing devices designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions and rough handling. They are built to meet or exceed military standards (MIL-STD-810G) for durability and ruggedness, making them ideal for use in the military, fieldwork, and other demanding environments.
Some of the most common uses of military rugged tablets include navigation, communication, logistics management, intelligence gathering, training and simulation, maintenance and repair, medical support, and command and control.
Military rugged tablets are used for a variety of tasks in military operations. Some of the most common uses include:
Navigation: Military rugged tablets are equipped with GPS and GLONASS, which allows military personnel to navigate in the field and track their location in real-time. This is particularly useful for reconnaissance and special operations units.
Communication: Military rugged tablets come equipped with a variety of connectivity options, such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 4G/LTE. This allows military personnel to stay connected and communicate with one another, even in remote locations.
Logistics management: Military rugged tablets are used to manage logistics, including inventory, supply chain, and maintenance. They can also be used to track personnel and equipment, as well as to manage and analyze data.
Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR): Military rugged tablets can be used to access and analyze intelligence data, stream video from drones or other airborne platforms, and enable real-time surveillance and reconnaissance.
Training and Simulation: Military rugged tablets are used for training and simulation, providing soldiers with realistic and interactive scenarios to improve their performance in the field.
Maintenance and repair: Military rugged tablets can be used to record, track and manage equipment maintenance and repairs, including warranty information, service history, and repair status.
Medical support: Military rugged tablets can be used to record, track and manage medical information of soldiers, including medical history, treatments, medications, and vaccinations.
Command and Control: Military rugged tablets are used to provide commanders with real-time information and to help them make quick, informed decisions.
Learn more about the 7 Best Rugged Laptops For Military Use Here
Learn more about Why Buying a Refurbished Toughbook is Better than a New One
Learn more about Panasonic Toughbook vs Dell Rugged Laptops: Full Comparison
Learn more about Best Rugged Tablets For Construction